Can I travel with my musical instrument?
Yes, you can take your musical instrument with you. Depending on the size, it is carried either in the cabin or in the hold of the aircraft.
- Musical instruments packed in a hard case with dimensions that do not exceed 125 cm/49 in (width + length + height) can be taken on board as carry-on baggage, providing they fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. Please note that if you take your musical instrument to the cabin, you cannot have any other carry-on baggage apart from a personal item such as a small handbag, a small laptop bag or a small backpack.
- If you want to take your instrument in the cabin but it exceeds 125 cm/49 in (width + length + height), you need to purchase an extra seat for your instrument. Please contact us by phone as extra seats cannot be booked online.
- Musical instruments up to 23 kg (50 lb) and external dimensions (length + width + height) max. 158 cm (62 in) can be carried as part of the allowed checked baggage. An extra bag charge applies if you exceed your baggage allowance.
- Larger musical instruments up to 32 kg (70 lb) and/or 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 29.5 in x 25.5 in) can be carried for an additional heavy bag charge.
- Large musical instruments exceeding these measures (32 kg (70 lb) and/or 190 cm x 75 cm x 65 cm (75 in x 29.5 in x 25.5 in)) may be accepted with a prior approval from the airline. Please contact Finnair.