Tips for smooth travelling during the summer holiday and peak hours
During the summer holiday time and peak hours, the number of customers on all our flights and at the airports increases. Busy times are expected at the airport from time to time and service points, such as check- in or security control may be congested. Please arrive at the airport latest 2 hours before your flight or if you are travelling to the USA, latest 3 hours before your flight.
Below you’ll find some useful tips on how to make your travel smoother on our international and domestic flights.
- You can read about our health and safety measures during coronavirus and prepare for your flight accordingly.
- If you are travelling with your family and especially with small children, check our family travel pages for more tips.
- We recommend you do the check-in in advance to avoid queues at the airport. Advance check-in starts 36 hours before the flight departure. The check-in kiosks at Helsinki Airport will close automatically 1 hour before your flight, otherwise the check-in closing times vary for different destinations. You can see the closing times here and do the heck-in here. Please note that if your travel destination requires a document check, you may need to collect your boarding pass from our staff at a service point.
- The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket; 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag max. 23 kg free of charge. The fee for carrying sports equipment (e.g., golf bag) depends on the baggage allowance of your ticket as well as how much other baggage you’re taking with you. Read more about travelling with sports equipment here. You can check your baggage allowance and purchase any additional baggage in advance for a lower price through Manage booking.
- Your flight may operate with a smaller aircraft or have more customers than outside the holiday season, and therefore the space for carry-on baggage onboard is limited. To make your flight as smooth and comfortable as possible, it pays off to pack carry-on baggage light and tight. If your travel is affected by an aircraft type change you can see more information here.
- You can minimize the hassle of the departure day by bringing your baggage to the Helsinki Airport already the previous evening before your flight. Our Baggage drop is open daily between 18:00 and 21:30.
- Helsinki Airport traffic arrangements have changed temporarily and all taxi traffic and passenger drop-off and pick-up is at Terminal 1. As all Finnair flights depart from Terminal 2, you need to walk approximately 300 meters from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2. You can see further information here.
- As a result of the on-going coronavirus travel restrictions, we check all of your travel documents carefully prior to the flight to make sure you are allowed entry to your destination. It is good to allow some extra time also for this document check. Please arrive to the airport latest 2 hours before the flight, regardless of your destination. However, if you are travelling to the USA, we recommend you to arrive at the airport latest 3 hours before your flight.
Please note that due to the on-going coronavirus situation there may be changes in the airport services of other countries as well. Therefore, please allow some extra time when arriving at the airport as the check-in, bag drop and security control may have queues.
For further information, we are happy to help you via Twitter @FinnairHelps, through our Facebook pages and via chat on finnair.com or Finnair app.
We wish you a smooth trip and a nice summer!