What do I need to consider when travelling with a child?
To ensure that you and your child have a smooth travel experience, please take the following things into account:
- Finnair has baby bassinets on all long-haul flights. Baby bassinets are recommended for infants younger than 6 months. In order to use a baby bassinet, please reserve a seat suitable for cot/bassinet through Manage booking. You can also reserve the seat by contacting us via our chat service or by reaching out to a travel agency. Seats are chargeable. After you have boarded the plane, our cabin crew will give you the baby bassinet and help to install it.
- Child's checked baggage allowance includes one piece of baggage weighing a maximum of 23kg, except for the Superlight and Light ticket type.
- When travelling with the Superlight and Light ticket type, infants and children do not have checked baggage allowance but a folding pushchair and safety seat may be transported in the hold free of charge. If needed, checked baggage can be added separately for a fee.
- Safety seats may be taken into the cabin, space and safety regulations permitting. Read more.
- If the pushchair including its wheels, which need to be clean from dirt, is within the size and weight of a carry-on bag, it may be carried as part of your carry-on allowance of your ticket type. In this case the pushchair is counted as one carry-on bag and in addition to it you may bring a small bag into the cabin (handbag or small laptop bag), which has to be placed under the seat in front of you. In case your ticket type is Superlight, you can bring the pushchair free of charge in addition to a small bag included in the Superlight allowance. Please see our Carry-on baggage page for more information on sizes.
- Other children's pushchairs are carried in the hold of the aircraft, along with all other checked baggage. At the check-in desk in Helsinki airport there are thin plastic bags to protect your baby's pushchair.
- In most airports there are pushchairs you can borrow to move from the check-in to the gate.
- Depending on your destination country, you are required to provide passport or other travel document for the child travelling with you.
- You can take milk and food for your baby through security and on board. Food and milk must be in original, unopened packages. There are no microwave ovens in the aircraft.
- You can order a special children's meal for children over 2 years when you book your flight tickets or later through Manage booking. Meals are available in all our intercontinental flights. Sky Bistro that replaces the complimentary cold snack service on European flights, also has a special menu for children.
Note: If your baby is not born yet, make the reservation for you and contact our customer service after the baby is born.