Travelling via Finland
Travel restrictions in this travel update are valid between 15 February to 30 June 2022.
We want you to transfer to your next destination smoothly and conveniently. You can transfer in Helsinki provided your next transfer station or destination country allows you to arrive via Finland.
Please note that travel requirements are subject to change on a short notice. As a traveller you are always responsible for ensuring that you fulfill the requirements of your destination and possible transit country.
Transit requirements and restrictions
Use our travel requirements map to get all the necessary information regarding travel and transit requirements and restrictions for your journey:
- Select your destination country to see their travel requirements. In the Connecting Flight Information section, you can check if any specific regulations apply regarding your transfer stations.
- If you transfer in Helsinki, select Finland and get the Connecting Flight Information under See more info. You can transfer in Helsinki provided your next transfer station or destination country allows you to arrive via Finland.
- If you continue from an international flight to a domestic flight within Finland, select Finland to find out current entry requirements. Check also our guidance for travelling to Finland here.
Are you travelling to China? Read also our travel update for travelling to China via Helsinki.
In case you need more information about travel requirements, please check them from your destination country's government website, or from the applicable Embassy or Consulate. More information about current travel requirements for travelling to or via Finland is on the Finnish Border Guard’s website.
We guide you through the transfer at Helsinki Airport
We are committed in making the transfer experience at Helsinki Airport pleasant and smooth for you.
- Together with Finavia, responsible for airports in Finland, we have numerous measures in place for your health and safety.
- All arrivals and departures take place in the same terminal building. Distances are short and gates are along the same walkway.
- After you arrive in Helsinki, we ask you to remain in the transit area. Leaving the transit area or terminal or moving from the non-Schengen area to the Schengen area is possible only if you are eligible for entry to Schengen area via Finland.
- The gate number of your connecting flight will be displayed in Finnair mobile app or on the airport monitors, but you can also ask at the Transfer Service desk for further assistance.
- At Helsinki Airport, the Transfer Service desks are located near gates 29 and 52.
- Depending on your origin and destination countries, you may need to go through a border control and security at Helsinki Airport when transferring to your connecting flight. It is good to reserve enough time to proceed to your next gate.
- Please note that the maximum allowed transit time at Helsinki Airport is 24 hours when you stay in the airport transfer area. For longer transfer times, you need to leave the airport in between your flights and be eligible for entry to Finland to do so.
- You can check available services at Helsinki Airport on Finavia’s website here.
- The authorities at your destination, or transfer country, may ask you to show proof of the route you have travelled. Please have a copy of your itinerary with you and save your boarding passes from all flights as you may need to show them at some stage of your journey.
Health check and coronavirus testing at Helsinki Airport
Are you connecting to an international flight at Helsinki Airport? You are not directed to a health or coronavirus certificate check at Helsinki Airport. However, if your destination authorities require any corona certificates to be checked before you board your flight, we check them at your departure gate. If you are travelling via Helsinki to China, you are required to take a coronavirus test at Helsinki Airport. Please read more information here.
In case you connect from an international flight to a domestic flight within Finland, you may be guided to the corona certificate check point at Helsinki Airport. Please be prepared to present your boarding pass from the flight that you arrived in Finland with and possible corona certificates. See more detailed instructions for arriving to Finland here.