We want to make travelling easy for you – also when you have special baggage with you. There are a bunch of things that are good to know before starting your journey. We hope that you get started with the quick checklist below.
Good to know before you go
- Special baggage is usually anything larger or heavier than standard baggage. A standard bag weighs a maximum of 23kg (50lb) and its external dimensions (length x width x height) are no more than 90cm x 75cm x 45cm (35in x 30in x 18in).
The following sports items are also considered special baggage:
- Skiing equipment
- Golf equipment
- Ski jumping equipment
- Sports guns and firearms
- Windsurfing boards, canoes and kayaks
- Vaulting poles.
- If you want to take your bicycle, skiing equipment, golf equipment or surfboard on your trip and all flights in your booking are operated and marketed by Finnair, you can select transportation for it and pay the extra baggage fee online when making your booking or later via Manage booking.
- For other types of special baggage, or if your journey includes flights operated or marketed by other airlines, please contact us via our chat service to notify us and to book transportation for the baggage. We ask you to let us know about special baggage in advance to make sure that there is room for it in the aircraft hold and that everything goes smoothly for you at the airport.
Please note that your special service request handling might take up to one week.
- Please note that a group of ten or more people travelling with skis also need to contact us regarding special baggage transportation.
- Please note that currently, you do not need to inform us about sports equipment that is packed to fit into the weight and size limits of a standard bag that fits into your checked baggage allowance.
- Also, most musical instruments can be carried as part of the normal baggage allowance. You’ll find detailed information on carrying these items further below.
- Please see this page for information about baggage fees.
- Your baggage allowance is printed on your ticket, e.g. 1 PC means one checked bag. You can also check it through Manage booking or the Finnair app.
- Please note that instructions for carrying special baggage vary between airlines. If your trip includes flights operated by other airlines, it is good to check their baggage regulations.