Congestion expected at Helsinki Airport during the skiing holiday season
During the holiday season, the number of customers at Helsinki Airport increases and congestion is expected from time to time. In this article, you’ll find some tips on how to make your travel smoother.
- You can do the check-in in advance to avoid queues at the airport. Advance check-in starts 36 hours before the flight departure either online on finnair.com or with Finnair App. You can download Finnair App (iOS or Android) here.
- If you are travelling with extra baggage, you can pay the extra fee via Manage booking on finnair.com the previous day.
- You can also bring your baggage to the airport already in the previous evening. Baggage can be dropped off between 6 pm and 9.30 pm. One family member may hand in the baggage for the whole family, provided that he or she can show all tickets and travel documents.
On the day of departure
- Please allow extra time when arriving to the airport, because there may be queues for the bag drop and the security check.
- Please note that the parking arrangements at Helsinki Airport have changed. Parking halls P1 & P2 have been closed, but P3 & P5 are at your service as well as outside parking area P4. It is good to allow some extra time if arriving the airport by car.
- Due to the holiday season and ongoing renovations at Helsinki Airport, traffic in front of the airport is congested from time to time. If you are driving someone to/from the airport, please consider using the short-term parking in P3. You can park one hour free of charge in February. Also, utilizing public transport or Finnair City Bus is an option to make arriving the airport smoother.
The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket, e.g. 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag max. 23 kg free of charge. A snowboard bag or a ski bag up to 23 kg and 220 cm is considered one piece of baggage. The fee for carrying sports equipment depends on the baggage allowance of your ticket as well as how much other baggage you’re taking with you. Read more about travelling with sports equipment here.
Please check also your carry-on baggage allowance. Due to the limited space on board, it’s important that your carry-on baggage is within the size and weight limits.
For further information, we are happy to help you via Twitter @FinnairHelps, through our Facebook pages and via chat on finnair.com. You can also call Finnair Customer service.