Travel documents to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia | Finnair Lithuania

The United States of America

Travel document requirements

Citizens of the USA must have a valid US passport or other valid travel document that allows entry to the USA.

Visitors travelling to or via the USA must have a valid passport as well as one of the following:

  • a valid visa or
  • authorization to travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) via the U.S. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or
  • a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or
  • other valid permit that allows entry to the USA

Please note that in order to transit via the USA, you must have sufficient travel documentation to enter the USA as described above.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

You may travel to or via the USA without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program, if you are a citizen of a VWP eligible country and you fulfil the below requirements:

  • The duration of your stay is 90 days, or less
  • You have a confirmed return ticket or a ticket for a connecting international flight
  • You have sufficient funds to cover your entire stay
  • You will arrive in the USA on an airline participating in the VWP, such as Finnair
  • You have a valid biometric passport, which contains a microchip

Citizens of the following countries are eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program:

Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (China) and the United Kingdom.

Read more about Visa Waiver Program

The U.S. Department of State has designated Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism (SST) as of 12 January 2021. Due to this, any travellers who have visited Cuba on or after 12 January 2021 are not eligible for travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) using an ESTA. This also applies to people holding dual nationality with a VWP country and Cuba. 

A previously approved ESTA will also be revoked if it’s later determined that the traveller has been present in Cuba or holds dual nationality.  

If you are not eligible for the Visa Waiver Program and ESTA, you will need a visa to travel to the United States. You can apply for the visa at any U.S. embassy or consulate. 

Find out more

ESTA Travel Authorization

ESTA is an automated system used to determine the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States. ESTA travel authorization is mandatory for visitors travelling to the USA under the Visa Waiver program. Children, regardless of age, are required to obtain an independent ESTA authorization. Canadian citizens are exempt from the ESTA.

  • The Customs and Border Protection unit of the United States charges a fee of 21 USD for each approved travel authorization – you can pay this online with a credit or debit card.
  • You must fill the ESTA authorization form at least 72 hours before the departure. If you submit your application less than 72 hours in advance, it might not be processed in time for your flight.
  • Your approved travel authorization is valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
  • If your application is denied and you wish to continue with your trip, you will have to apply for a non-immigrant visa at a US embassy or consulate.
Apply for an ESTA

Secure flight passenger information and advance passenger information (API)

You must provide the following Secure Flight information when making your reservation: 

  • full name (written exactly as on your passport)
  • gender
  • date of birth

In addition, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection unit (CBP) requires that airlines submit advance passenger information (passport details and the full address of your first night’s accommodation in the USA) for all passengers travelling to, from or via the USA. Passengers who have an international connecting flight or an international cruise leaving within 8 hours are not required to provide the address data.

The CBP address requirement does not apply to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, however as the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) agency’s requirement to provide address data applies to all passengers, airlines are obliged to collect address data also for U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.

You can add all this information to your reservation through Manage booking page.

Manage booking

Privacy notice: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires that you provide your full name, date of birth and gender for the purpose of watch list screening, under the authority of 49 U.S.C. section 114, the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 and 49 C.F.R parts 1540 and 1560.

You may also provide your Redress Number, if available. Failure to provide your full name, date of birth and gender may result in denial of transport or denial of authority to enter the boarding area. The TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies under its published system of records notice.

For more on TSA privacy policies, or to review the system of records notice and the privacy impact assessment, please see the TSA website.

Statutory right to advance information

In addition to receiving Advance Passenger Information (API), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP)  has a statutory right to receive certain information regarding reservations made on Finnair flights to, from and via the USA. Passengers are informed of this at the time they make their reservations. 

The US-VISIT Program

The US-VISIT Program aims at improving the safety and security of visitors to the United States, as well as U.S. citizens. Certain data will be collected from each visitor to the US on arrival and again on departure.

On arrival in the USA, the immigration officer will also collect unique data from each visitor in the form of fingerprints and a digital photograph.

All data obtained from visitors is stored securely and is made available only to authorised officials and selected law enforcement agencies on a need to know basis in their efforts to protect the USA.

Further information about the US-VISIT program

The United Kingdom

Electronic Travel Authorisation for the United Kingdom (ETA)

  • The UK Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) requirement came into effect on 15 November 2023, and currently applies only to nationals of Qatar.
  • From 22 February 2024, the ETA requirement will also apply to nationals of the following countries: Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
  • Nationals of other, currently visa-free, countries will be required to obtain an ETA prior to travel at a later stage in 2024, the exact dates are yet to be announced by the UK authorities.
  • Please note that if you are of a nationality who needs a UK ETA, the ETA requirement also applies when you are transiting through the UK, even if you remain in the airside transit area of the airport.
  • You can find more information on the UK ETA and a link to apply for an ETA on the GOV.UK website.


Travel document requirements

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required for all visa-free nationals travelling to/via Canada unless they hold a visa or a residence permit (U.S. citizens are exempt from the eTA). 

  • The eTA may be applied online for a cost of 7 CAD (approximately 5 EUR) 
  • It is recommended to submit the eTA application at least 72 hours prior to travel 

Officers of the Canada Border Services Agency recommend that parents who share custody of their children carry copies of their legal custody documents, such as custody rights. 

If you share custody and the other parent is not travelling with you, or if you are travelling with minors for whom you are not the parent or legal guardian, we recommend you to carry a consent letter to provide authorization for you to take them on a trip and enter Canada. 

Consent letter

Statutory right to advance information

The Canada Border Services Agency has a statutory right to receive certain information on passengers who have reservations on Finnair flights to, from and via Canada. Passengers are informed of this at the time they make their reservations.


Travel document requirements

  • With the exception of nationals of Australia and New Zealand, nationals of all other countries must have an electronic visa, a residence permit or an Electronic Travel Authorisation to visit Australia.
  • Nationals of some countries are allowed to transit via Australia to a third country without an e-visa/electronic authorisation, provided the departure of the connecting international flight is within 8 hours of arrival and the person remains within the international transit area of the airport.
  • The e-visa or eTA needs to be obtained in good time prior to the travel. Airlines check the status of a passenger’s e-visa/eTA via their departure control systems, before accepting a passenger to travel on a route to Australia. 
  • The Australian Visa Finder is a website where visitors can find out which type of electronic permit or visa they need when travelling to Australia. Through the same site it is also possible to apply for an applicable permit/visa.
Navigated to page: Travel documents to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia