Tips for travelling during the summer season and peak hours
We collected tips for you for smooth travelling during the busy summer season.
During the peak hours and busier times, the number of customers at the airports and on our flights increases. Busy times are expected from time to time, and various service points as well as security checks may be congested. Below you’ll find some tips on how to make your travel smoother during the high season.
- Get to know our checklist for safe travelling to ensure your well-being throughout the journey.
- Check the latest travel requirements on our Travel requirements map and find out which travel documents are needed to travel to your destination considering your nationality.
- Please note that wearing a mask on our flights is optional, unless it is required by the authorities of your destination or country of origin.
- For the smoothest start to your journey, check in in advance via our mobile app or online on finnair.com. You can check in in advance up to 36 hours before departure.
- In Manage booking you can change or rebook flights and prepare for your flight easily. Reduce time and money spent at the airport by adding travel extras, like extra baggage, before your trip.
- We recommend you to keep your contact details up to date by editing phone number and email address in Manage booking.
- We suggest you clearly label all your baggage, inside and out, with your name and contact details, such as a mobile number and email address.
- As the flights may be full, and the space for carry-on baggage is limited onboard, it pays off to pack light and tight.
- If you are travelling with your family and especially with small children, check our Travelling with children on finnair.com for more tips.
On the day of departure
- Please allow extra time when arriving at the airport, because there may be queues for the check-in, bag-drop and security check.
- If you have baggage to check in, depending on the airport you can either use self-service bag drop or leave your baggage at the bag drop desk during your flight’s check-in period.
- Make sure you have the travel and other required documents with you. Depending on your destination’s travel requirements, we may check your coronavirus related documents at the boarding gate.
- If congestion at the airport affects your boarding, you can change your booking:
- The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket, for example 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag maximum 23 kg free of charge. The fee for carrying sports equipment depends on your baggage allowance and how much other baggage you’re taking with you.
- Read about travelling with sports equipment here and with restricted items and substances here.
- If your baggage is delayed, we do our best to deliver your baggage to you as soon as possible. Please read more here about handling of delayed baggage.
Flying via Helsinki means that you can enjoy the compact and spacious Helsinki Airport, where all the gates and services are located under one roof, in one terminal building.
We wish you a smooth trip!