We want to make travelling easy for you – also when you have special baggage with you. There are a bunch of things that are good to know before starting your journey. We hope that you get started with the quick checklist below.
Good to know before you go
- Special baggage is usually anything larger or heavier than standard baggage. A standard bag weighs a maximum of 23kg/50lb (Economy Class, Premium Economy Class) and 32kg/70lb (Business Class) and its external dimensions (length + width + height) are no more than 158cm/62in.
The following sports items are also considered special baggage:
- Ski jumping equipment and skis longer than 220cm
- Sports guns and firearms
- Windsurfing boards, canoes and kayaks
- Vaulting poles.
- Please contact us via our chat service to notify us about your special baggage and to book transportation for it. Just open the chat and select “Informing about special baggage”. We ask you to let us know about special baggage in advance to make sure that there is room for it in the aircraft hold and that everything goes smoothly for you at the airport. We are working on a digital solution that in the future will allow you to register special baggage directly via the Manage Booking self-service.
Please note that your special service request handling might take up to one week.
- Please note that a group of ten or more people travelling with skis also need to contact us regarding special baggage transportation.
- Please note that currently you do not need to inform us about sports equipment that is packed to fit into the weight and size limits of standard baggage. You also do not need to inform us for:
- Skis with maximum length of 220cm and maximum weight of 23kg
- Surfboards with a maximum length of 190cm and maximum weight of 23kg.
- Also, most musical instruments can be carried as part of the normal baggage allowance. You’ll find detailed information on carrying these items further below.
- You can transport special baggage on our flights either as part of your regular baggage allowance or for an extra charge depending on your baggage allowance, the number of bags you have with you and the size of your special baggage. Please see this page for information about baggage fees.
- Your baggage allowance is printed on your ticket, e.g. 1 PC means one bag. You can also check it through Manage booking or the Finnair app.
- Please note that instructions for carrying special baggage vary between airlines. If your trip includes flights operated by other airlines, it is good to check their baggage regulations.