Tips for travelling during the peak hours and holiday season
We collected tips for you for smooth travelling during the busy holiday season.
During the peak hours and busier times, the number of customers at Helsinki Airport and on our flights increases. Busy times are expected at the airport from time to time. Below you’ll find some tips on how to make your travel smoother during the high season.
- Check our checklist for safe traveling during coronavirus to prepare for your journey, and make sure you have the needed travel documents and corona related certificates using our Travel requirements map.
- We recommend you to check-in for your flight in advance to avoid queues at the airport. Advance check-in starts 36 hours before the flight departure either online on finnair.com or with Finnair App. You can download Finnair App (iOS or Android) here.
- You get the smoothest start for your journey by making any reservation changes or purchasing tickets or travel extras, like upgrades or extra baggage, in advance. We no longer have a separate desk for these services at Helsinki Airport, but our crew at other desks are at your service with these matters, if you wish.
- If you are travelling with extra baggage, you can pay the extra fee via Manage booking on finnair.com latest 3 hours before the flight departure. Please note that cash payments are not possible at Finnair airport service points.
- You can bring your baggage to Helsinki Airport already in the previous evening. You can drop of your baggage between 6 pm and 9.30 pm. One family member can hand in the baggage for the whole family, provided that you show all tickets and travel documents. If your final destination is in the United States, all travelers are required to bring their own baggage.
- The flights may be full, and the space for carry-on baggage onboard is limited. To make your flight as smooth and comfortable as possible, it pays off to pack carry-on baggage light and tight.
- If you are travelling with your family and especially with small children, check our family travel pages for more tips.
- Kindly note that wearing a mask on our flights is optional, unless it is required by the authorities of your destination or country of origin.
On the day of departure
- Helsinki Airport's new Terminal 2 welcomes you with its spacious arrival and departure halls. Finnair’s departure hall services are gradually available in the new terminal building by mid-April. Read more here.
- Please arrive at the airport latest 2, or if you are travelling to the USA, 3 hours before your flight, because there may be queues for the check-in, bag-drop and security check.
- If you have checked-in for your flight in advance and already have a boarding pass for your flight, at Helsinki Airport you can go directly to the bag-drop with a printed bag tag or through the security control to the departure gate of your flight.
- The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket, for example 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag maximum 23 kg free of charge. The fee for carrying sports equipment depends on your baggage allowance and how much other baggage you’re taking with you. Read more about travelling with sports equipment here and with restricted items and substances here.
We wish you a smooth trip!