Tips for travelling during the holiday season and peak hours
We collected tips for you for smooth travelling during the busy holiday season.
During the peak hours and busier times, the number of customers at the airports and on our flights increases. Busy times are expected during the holiday season, and various service points as well as security checks may be congested. Below you’ll find some tips on how to make your travel smoother.
For the smoothest start for your journey, please consider at least the following:
- Check in in advance via our mobile app or online on finnair.com. You can check in in advance up to 36 hours before departure.
- If needed, change or rebook flights in advance in Manage booking. Also reduce time and money spent at the airport by adding travel extras, like extra baggage, before your trip.
- Please follow your carry-on baggage allowance, as the space is limited onboard. Your allowance depends on your travel class and ticket type. Check your allowance via Finnair app or in Manage booking.
- Arrive at the airport in good time before your flight, because there may be queues for check-in, Bag Drop and security check.
- Check the latest travel requirements on our Travel requirements map and find out which travel documents are needed to travel to your destination considering your nationality.
- We recommend you keep your contact details up to date by editing mobile phone number and email address in Manage booking.
- Please label all your baggage clearly by adding your name and contact details, such as mobile phone number and email address, inside and outside of your bag.
- When arriving at Helsinki Airport by car, you can book parking in advance.
- If you are travelling with your family and especially with small children, check Travelling with children on finnair.com for more tips to prepare your journey.
On the day of departure
- If you have baggage to check in, depending on the airport you can either use self-service bag drop or leave your baggage at the bag drop desk during your flight’s check-in period.
- Make sure you have the travel and other required documents with you.
- The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket, for example 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag maximum 23 kg free of charge. The fee for carrying sports equipment depends on your baggage allowance and how much other baggage you’re taking with you.
- Please note that skiing equipment is considered special baggage. Read about travelling with sports equipment here and with restricted items here.
- We recommend you purchase your extra baggage, such as skis, in advance in Manage booking due to space limitations. You can now purchase extra baggage also via Finnair app.
- At Helsinki Airport you can check-in and print bag tags also for your special baggage at the check-in kiosks and then proceed to self-service bag drop.
- If your baggage is delayed, we do our best to deliver your baggage to you as soon as possible. Please read more here about handling of delayed baggage.
We wish you a smooth trip!