We look after your health and safety
Are you going on a flight and wondering how to travel safe during the coronavirus pandemic? Your health and safety are our highest priority. According to medical experts, the aircraft is not a likely environment for catching the coronavirus, but as travel gradually recovers, we want to ensure that you feel safe and comfortable when travelling with us.
As of 18 May, we introduce additional measures for your safety and wellbeing. This is what we can do together.
Check in online or through Finnair mobile app for your flight, so that you can avoid queues and touching the self-service kiosks at the airport.
Packing light is a good idea, as baggage handling increases the time you spend and the contacts you have at the airport.
Take with you masks that cover your mouth and nose, as you are required to wear one when you board the aircraft. This can be a surgical or a home-made mask made of fabric. If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, please let us know at least 72 hours before your flight.
Before you go, check the authorities’ travel recommendations in your destination country. Some countries for example require temperature screening upon arrival and wearing masks in public areas. For information about travel restrictions in different countries, you can visit IATA’s website.
Stay home if you feel unwell. Anyone with symptoms of a respiratory infection will be denied boarding. If you bought your flight between 1 April - 30 June 2020 from Finnair’s own channels, you can change your travel date flexibly.
At the airport
- For your safety, keep distance to other customers at all times. At Helsinki Airport, floor stickers will help you.
- At Helsinki Airport, customer service points have plastic screens and our ground crew wear surgical masks. Finavia and Finnair recommend you to wear a mask already at the airport.
- Help yourself with hand sanitizer that is available both at check-in and at the gate area.
- Please note that cash payments are currently not possible at Finnair airport service points.
We have a new boarding order to minimise unnecessary contacts and movement in the cabin. Boarding will begin from the rear end of the aircraft. Priority and Business Class boarding is temporarily discontinued.
Our crew reviews seating at the gate and customers are seated far away from each other whenever possible. Families can of course sit together.
At Helsinki Airport, in bus transportation, only max 50% of the capacity is used.
You need to wear a mask that covers your mouth and nose by the time boarding begins and during the flight. Please bring your own mask, as your boarding can be denied without a mask.
Please note that anyone with symptoms of a respiratory infection will be denied boarding.
- Our cabin crew wear surgical masks during the flight, and also you are required to wear a mask from boarding to leaving the aircraft. You can remove the mask while you’re eating or drinking. Children under the age of 7 are not required to wear a mask.
- We encourage you to bring only one piece of carry-on baggage and store it under the seat in front of you so that you do not have to stand up during the flight to get items from the overhead lockers.
- We clean our aircraft at every “turn” when the aircraft are on the ground. We also provide you wipes in onboard, so you can wipe any high touch surfaces if you wish.
- To minimize contact, we have modified our meal service onboard. Check more on the Travel updates page.
- Please avoid unnecessary movement in the cabin. If you need to move around for medical reasons, it’s of course permitted.
- It is good to know that cash payments are not possible during the flight.
- Exiting the aircraft will happen in a new order in smaller groups.
You can read more about our measures to make travelling safe for you on Bluewings magazine.