Entry requirements to Hong Kong
The Hong Kong authorities have introduced requirements for customers arriving in Hong Kong.
Please note that entry restrictions may be subject to change on short notice. As a traveller you are responsible for ensuring that you fulfill the requirements of your destination and possible transit country.
- You are required to fill out Passenger Locator (PLF) and quarantine forms. The Hong Kong health authorities recommend that you do this electronically earliest 48h prior to arrival via this link.
- You will be tested for coronavirus upon arrival.
- You need to stay 21 nights in quarantine at a hotel after arriving in Hong Kong. This requirement applies also to Hong Kong nationals and residents. You will not be allowed to leave your hotel room during the quarantine period. The quarantine hotel is at your own expense and you need to show proof of your confirmed 21-night room reservation to the airline agent at time of boarding, and to the authorities on arrival in Hong Kong. Please note that accommodation at, for example, an Airbnb, hostel, service apartment, or staying with a friend is not allowed. The quarantine requirement does not apply if you transit via Hong Kong airport to a third country within 24 hours and remain in the international transit area of the airport.
- There are restrictions in place for foreigners arriving in Hong Kong, for example, EU-nationals are not allowed entry currently unless holding residence permits.
- Customers who have been in Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Ecuador, Ethiopia, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Kazakhstan, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Romania, Russia, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom or in the USA in the past 14 days must have a medical certificate with a negative coronavirus nucleic acid test result that has been issued earliest 72 hours before flight departure. The certificate must be in Chinese or English and bear the name of the customer and his/her identity card or passport number. The medical certificate shall have been issued by an ISO 15189 accredited laboratory or healthcare institution and the customer must hold documentary proof to show that the laboratory or healthcare institution in question is ISO 15189 accredited or is recognized or approved by the relevant authority of the government.
- Please note that effective 22 January 2021: Travelling from Brazil, Ireland, South Africa or the United Kingdom to Hong Kong is allowed only if you have stayed in those two countries less than 2 hours in the past 21 days.
Transferring via Hong Kong to other international destinations is allowed, if:
- your flight to Hong Kong and your connecting flight from Hong Kong, are included in the same ticket (separate tickets are not allowed).
- you have boarding passes to all flights printed at the check-in counter of your departure airport, and your baggage is checked through until the final destination.
- maximum connection time is 24h.
- you are eligible to enter at your destination country (the country's coronavirus restrictions and travel document requirements are fulfilled).
- you do not have an onward flight to mainland China (connecting flights to mainland China are currently only allowed for passengers holding Diplomatic passports).
- transferring via Hong Kong from mainland China to other countries is currently allowed if other requirements mentioned above are fulfilled. Please note that if you continue your journey from Hong Kong to a third country, that requires a pre-travel coronavirus test, the certificate must be written in English.
You can find the latest entry restrictions via the destination country's government website, or from the applicable Embassy or Consulate.
Check your options here, if your travel plans change due to the travel restrictions.