Safe travel during coronavirus
Corona Cover for extra peace of mind
Travelling today comes with new concerns, and Finnair would like to offer you some extra peace of mind when you travel. Finnair Corona Cover is offered at no additional cost and provides cover in case you test positive for COVID-19 while at your destination.
Finnair Corona Cover is included in your ticket with no additional cost when:
- you have a Finnair ticket booked through the Finnair website, mobile app or customer service (ticket number starts with 105–24…)
- you booked your flights by 31 August 2021
- your departure is between 17 February–31 October 2021 and your journey does not last more than 31 days
- your journey originates from Spain and your destination is abroad.
The insurance coverage is included in all existing and new bookings, so long as your departure is between 17 February 2021–31 October 2021 and you have made your booking by 31 August 2021. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover. Finnair will pay the premium for this cover.
Please note that Finnair Corona Cover is not available for bookings made after 31 August 2021. We always recommend getting insurance when you travel, so please contact the insurance company of your choice for travel insurance. We also advise carefully checking the terms and conditions of the coverage, for example, regarding medical costs in case of getting sick when travelling.
Finnair Corona Cover is provided by AIG Europe S.A. and its insurance company subsidiaries, affiliates, or network partners and is designed to supplement other travel insurance you may have. We always recommend that you check any travel insurance coverage before travelling. Please note that Finnair Corona Cover does not cover any illnesses other than COVID-19.
Finnair Corona Cover covers the following expenses if you are diagnosed with COVID-19 at your destination:
- COVID-19 related medical expenses and medical repatriation up to €200,000 (for example, hospital stays or doctor visits)
- the price of a COVID-19 test (if the result is positive)
- additional costs of mandatory quarantine of up to €100 a day for a maximum of 14 days; (for example, extra nights at a hotel or new return flight home if you miss the original one due to infection).
This cover is valid regardless of your destination abroad and at no additional cost.
Keep this in mind if you get sick at your destination:
- Always contact AIG Travel Assistance first for a consultation and to gain prior approval for any expenses. You can call AIG Travel Assistance in English 24/7 at +44 1273 765 324.
- AIG will settle expenses directly with the local service providers, provided that you have contacted AIG Travel Assistance first and obtained approval.
- Please be prepared to send AIG your Finnair ticket or booking confirmation and proof of a positive COVID-19 test. These serve as proof of your eligibility for the insurance. Please email this to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What expenses are not included in Finnair Corona Cover?
Finnair Corona Cover does not cover the following:
- trip cancellation expenses of any kind, including as a result of sickness, travel restrictions or stay-at-home orders due to COVID-19
- medical expenses that are due to an illness other than COVID-19 or to a COVID-19 diagnosis before the start of your trip
- any medical expenses during domestic travel
- quarantine that applies to all passengers, to all passengers from a particular area, to all individuals currently located in an area or all passengers, or to a sub-group of passengers that is broader than just you and your travelling companion(s)
- the price of a COVID-19 test if the result is negative or if destination authorities require a test for all travellers
- COVID-19 related costs before or after your trip
- any expenses after you return to your country of residence or 31 days after the cover started, whichever is earlier
- travel to Iran, Cuba, Syria, North Korea, and the Crimea Region of Ukraine).
What if my trip starts before 31 October 2021, but I return later?
Finnair Corona Cover is valid if you started your journey on or before 31 October 2021.
Is my insurance valid if my trip lasts longer than 31 days?
The insurance does not cover any expenses after 31 days unless treatment for COVID-19 is initiated within the 31day coverage period.
Is the Finnair Corona Cover a substitute for travel insurance?
Finnair Corona Cover is not a substitute for travel insurance, but it offers additional cover and extra peace of mind in case you are diagnosed with COVID-19 while at your destination abroad.
Can I claim compensation retrospectively?
Please contact AIG Travel Assistance if you are travelling and have COVID-19 symptoms. If you test positive for COVID-19, AIG Travel Assistance will settle the payments for medical expenses and quarantine (subject to policy terms and conditions). If you change your return flight due to a positive diagnosis or have paid for a positive COVID-19 test yourself, you can apply for compensation from AIG after the payment.
Does Finnair Corona Cover affect the flight ticket refund and change policy?
No, the flight ticket refund and change policy remain the same. Read more about the ticket change policy here.
For which departure countries is Finnair Corona Cover offered?
Finnair Corona Cover is offered for journeys departing from Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland. Please read the specific terms and conditions and validity dates from each country website.
If my country of departure and my country of residence is different, which policy wording will apply?
The policy wording for your country of residence will apply, regardless of your point of origin.