TIPS FOR TRAVELLING DURING THE WINTER HOLIDAY
During the winter holiday season, the number of customers at Helsinki Airport and on our flights increases. Busy times are expected at the airport from time to time.
Below you’ll find some tips on how to make your travel smoother. You can also prepare for your trip by reading more about our health and safety measures during coronavirus.
- We recommend you to do the check-in in advance to avoid queues at the airport. Advance check-in starts 36 hours before the flight departure either online at finnair.com or with the Finnair App. You can download Finnair App (iOS or Android) here.
- It is a good idea to check your baggage allowance before travel. It is printed on your ticket, and you can check it also via Manage booking or Finnair mobile app. For example, 1 PC means one bag. More tips about baggage is here.
- We have a limited space for extra baggage onboard our flights, especially if the flight is operated with one of our smaller aircraft types. We can better take into account the extra baggage to be carried on flights, if we receive advance information about it. So, please purchase any extra baggage, like skis, already in advance with a lower price online through Manage booking.
- You can also bring your baggage to the airport already in the previous evening. Baggage can be dropped off between 6 pm and 9.30 pm. One family member may hand in the baggage for the whole family, provided that he or she can show all tickets and travel documents.
- If you are travelling with your family, check our family travel pages for tips to prepare for your journey.
- The flights may be full or operated with smaller aircraft, and the space for carry-on baggage onboard is limited. To make your flight as smooth and comfortable as possible, it pays off to pack the carry-on baggage light and tight.
On the day of departure
- Please allow some extra time when arriving to the airport, because there may be queues for the check-in, bag drop and security check.
- You can check in for your flight at one of the self-service kiosks and leave your bags through self-service bag drops in the departure hall. Please remember to print the bag tag at the check-in kiosk before leaving the baggage.
- Please note that there are changes in parking arrangements, public transport and dropping off/picking up passengers at Helsinki Airport, you can see further details here.
- Helsinki Airport has limited services available at the moment, you can find more information here.
- The baggage allowance is marked on your ticket, e.g. 1 PC means that you are allowed to check in one bag max. 23 kg free of charge. The fee for carrying sports equipment depends on the baggage allowance of your ticket as well as how much other baggage you’re taking with you. Read more about travelling with sports equipment here.
- Skiing or snowboarding equipment is considered one piece of standard baggage, unless the ski shoes, snowboard shoes, or poles are packed in a separate bag (in which case your skiing equipment would be checked in as 2 pieces).
For further information, we are happy to help you via Twitter @FinnairHelps, through our Facebook pages and via chat on finnair.com.
We wish you a lovely holiday season!