Entry requirements to China
The Chinese authorities have introduced requirements for passengers arriving in mainland China.
Please note that travel restrictions are subject to change on a short notice. As a traveller you are always responsible for ensuring that you fulfill the requirements of your destination and possible transit country. You can read more about the latest entry requirements here.
Coronavirus testing requirements when travelling via Helsinki
All customers travelling from or via Helsinki to China are required to hold a negative coronavirus, nucleic acid and IgM antibody test result taken earliest 48 hours before travel at every station during the journey. However, customers from domestic flights in Finland transferring to flights to China are not required to be tested in Helsinki.
- The coronavirus nucleic acid and IgM antibody tests shall be carried out at a facility designated or recognized by the overseas Chinese Embassy/Consulate in the country where you start your journey. Please contact your local Chinese Embassy for details. In Finland, for example, you can utilise our partner’s Terveystalo’s testing services.
- If you travel to China via Helsinki, you need to get tested for coronavirus and get a negative test result not only in the country of your departure but also at all your transit airports including Helsinki Airport before continuing to your connecting flight to China.
- The minimum transfer time is 16 hours and the maximum transfer time is 24 hours at Helsinki Airport due to transfer testing requirement.
We guide you through the transfer at Helsinki airport
We do our best to make the transfer experience at Helsinki Airport pleasant and smooth for you. We will organize the required testing services at Helsinki Airport with our healthcare service partner Terveystalo. You are required to purchase the tests in advance by contacting our Customer Service, providing there is at least 24 hours until your departure to China. Included in the test price, 300€ per person, we provide you a comfort package. Infants under 2 years need to be tested but will not be charged for the test and comfort package.
After you arrive in Helsinki on a Finnair flight:
- Please proceed directly to the Finnair transfer desk located close to gate 52 where you will receive further instructions. The transfer desk will then guide you to the test area. The test area is open only on Wednesdays from 19:30 to 00:45. Closing time may vary depending on the inbound traffic on the day of operations. Testing will remain open until all customers are tested.
- The staff of our partner Terveystalo take the tests and analyse the samples. The PCR test is taken from the nose and throat and the IgM test through a blood sample from your elbow bend. Please tell Terveystalo staff if taking a blood sample worries you. Terveystalo’s test methods meet the requirements of the Chinese authorities.
We ask you to show your passport before taking the tests. Please use a mask covering your nose and mouth when you are in the testing area. Only one person at a time can enter the testing area, however, small children shall be accompanied by a parent.
Children of all ages are required to undergo testing both in the country of origin and at the transit station.
If the medical facility at your point of origin has issued a special medical certificate, stating the reason for not being able to perform a test on the child, the child is still required to visit the Terveystalo testing facility in the Helsinki Airport transit area, in order to obtain a certificate required for receiving the mandatory HS QR code or HDC QR code from the Chinese Embassy.
If you are arriving to Helsinki on a Finnair flight, you are required to purchase the tests latest at the check-in counter of your first flight. If you are arriving to Helsinki on another airline, please see separate instructions further below.
- After taking the test, you’ll have some 16 hours to spend at Helsinki Airport. You can collect your comfort package from Finnair transfer desk. The package contains a pillow, blanket, slippers, our amenity kit, water bottle, shower access and a service voucher to be used at the airport on available services. If you travel in Business Class, also Business Class lounge voucher is included in the comfort package. Please see here for more information and the current opening hours of the Business Class lounges at Helsinki Airport.
- Leaving the terminal or moving from the non-Schengen area to the Schengen area is possible only if you are eligible for entry to Finland.
- You may eat and drink normally before having the IgM and PCR tests at Helsinki Airport.
On the day of departure to China
Please collect your printed test results from the Finnair transfer desk and send them to the Chinese authorities for approval. You may do this using this link https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/.
After you have received the new validation QR code, that is required for your flight from Helsinki to China, please check in for your flight to China and collect your boarding pass at our transfer desk. We ask you to do this, even if you already checked in for your flight to China earlier. The check-in will open at 10:30 am Finnish time at the transfer desk. Please be ready to show all the necessary documents including your test results and QR code(s) to our ground crew.
You will receive a boarding pass that indicates that all the relevant tests and the electronic health declaration have been completed.
In case your test result comes out positive, you will be contacted separately and given further instructions. It is good to know that in this case you are not able to travel to your destination, nor stay at the airport. You are required to stay in a 14-day quarantine in Helsinki in a hotel and you are responsible for the expenses.
Please note: Your baggage will be checked in all the way to China at your departure airport. As you will not have access to your baggage during your transfer at Helsinki Airport, please make sure you pack all essentials, for example your medication you may need during the transfer time in your carry-on baggage.
Our ground crew at the transfer desk will assist you with any questions during the time you spend at Helsinki Airport.
Arriving in Helsinki on another airline
If you are arriving in Helsinki on another airline and continuing to China on a Finnair flight, you are required to fulfill some additional requirements:
- You need to obtain a special HS QR code (for Chinese nationals) or a HDC QR code (for other nationalities) from the local Chinese Embassy/Consulate of your country of origin before you travel. You will need to show this QR code to the Finnair agent at the transfer desk in Helsinki, before you can proceed to the coronavirus tests conducted in the transit area.
- You are required to purchase the IgM and PCR tests in advance by contacting our customer service.
- Only one transfer stop (Helsinki Airport) is allowed in your journey to China - and this is provided that the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in your country of origin allows transiting as part of your routing to China.
- In case you arrive in Helsinki with another airline but will continue to Finnair flight to China, please visit our transfer desk for assistance as soon as you arrive in Helsinki.
Your options for reservation changes if you are travelling to China via Helsinki
- You can travel to China via Helsinki but please prepare to start your journey earlier than planned to allow enough time for testing and results during transfer at Helsinki Airport. We will automatically offer you a new inbound flight from Europe to Helsinki the day before your original flight, if there are alternative flights available. We will send you your new flight information via email. Your flight from Helsinki to China will remain the same as in your original travel plan.
- You can change your travel dates for later according to our flexible ticket change policy.
Check your options for reservation changes here if you are travelling to China directly from Helsinki.
If you booked your ticket through a travel agency or a tour operator, please contact them to make changes to your reservation. If you booked your ticket through Finnair, our customer service is working hard to help you in this extremely exceptional situation. We are at your service also via chat on our website or Finnair App. We are sorry that our customer service may be congested.
Health and safety measures during boarding and onboard
It is good to know that your temperature will be scanned at the departure gate in Helsinki. Those not fulfilling the health requirements set by the Chinese health authorities and those showing symptoms of coronavirus will be denied boarding.
Random temperature scanning is also possible during the flight.
All customers must wear facial masks during the whole flight and should not remove their masks unless necessary, for example during meals.
You will in addition be tested for coronavirus on arrival in China and will be quarantined for 14-days at your own cost in designated places.
You can find the latest entry restrictions via the destination country's government website, or from the applicable Embassy or Consulate.