Entry requirements to China
The Chinese authorities have introduced requirements for passengers arriving in mainland China.
Please note that entry restrictions may be subject to change on short notice. You are responsible for ensuring that you are allowed entry into the country you are travelling from, to or are in transit through. If you’re travelling to Hong Kong, you can check information here.
Travel document requirements to China
- Foreign visitors must hold a visa that has been issued after 28 March 2020. Please go to the IATA website for more information and exceptions.
- Starting 4 November, foreign visitors, travelling from Belgium, France or the United Kingdom to China, must hold a visa that has been issued after 4 November 2020. Please contact the Chinese Embassy in the applicable country for more information.
- All customers are required to complete a Passenger Locator Form (PLF), also called an Electronic Health Declaration, prior to travel and show proof of having completed the form to the airline before boarding and to the authorities on arrival (a print/screenshot of the QR-code received upon completion of the electronic declaration).
You can make the electronic declaration via the following channels:
- Wechat (recommendable)
- China Customs mobile app
You can change the language from Chinese to English by choosing “Health Declaration” on the first page of the app. After this, you can see the English language option in the right upper corner.
- Online declaration: http://health.customsapp.com/home/pages/index/index.html
- Please note that the online form does not accept all email addresses (you need to submit your email address to receive the required QR-code) if you are not able to complete the online declaration successfully, kindly use WeChat or download the Mobile App.
- Important: Please complete your Electronic Health Declaration form only after you have checked-in on your flight to China, as you will need to enter your actual seat number in the form. The Health declaration is only valid for a limited time, so please do not complete it too early, especially if you have a long transit time in Helsinki. Please have the QR-code (which you will receive once you have completed the health declaration form) available as you need to present it to the airline representative at the time of boarding the flight from Helsinki to China. You can see the pictures of the required documents here.
- Please note that if you are not able to get QR-code, you are required to present the original negative coronavirus nucleic acid and IgM antibody test results (taken earliest 48 hours before your travel) obtained in the country of origin prior to boarding the flight to Helsinki. The negative Coronavirus test certificate needs to be obtained from a laboratory accepted by Chinese Embassy.
Updated requirements for coronavirus testing as of 7 November 2020
Effective 7th of November 2020: All customers travelling from or via Helsinki to China are required to hold a negative coronavirus nucleic acid and IgM antibody test result taken earliest 48 hours before travel at every station during your journey.
- The coronavirus nucleic acid and IgM antibody test shall be carried out at a facility designated or recognized by the overseas Chinese Embassy/Consulate in the country where you start your journey (please contact to the local Chinese Embassy for details). In Finland, you can for example utilise our partner’s Terveystalo’s testing services.
- You must submit the negative coronavirus nucleic acid and IgM antibody test result, together with a scanned copy of your passport biodata page and flight details (via WeChat or email) to the local Chinese Embassy/Consulate in the country where you start your journey from.
- A special QR-HS Code (for Chinese nationals) or an Embassy endorsed Health Declaration Form (for foreign nationals) must be obtained from the local Chinese Embassy/Consulate before travel.
- Airlines are required to check these health codes/forms at the time of boarding – failure to obtain a health code/form from the embassy prior to travel or holding a code/form that will expire before the person boards the flight from Helsinki to China, will result in denied boarding from the flight.
- If you have already booked a coronavirus test from Terveystalo, which would be taken earlier than 48 hours before your travel, you can call to their service phone +358 30 633 9530 to book a new time. An additional IgM antibody test can be taken at the same time.
Please note. As of 7 November 2020, if you travel to China via Helsinki, you need to get tested for coronavirus and get a negative test result not only in the country of your departure but also at in all your transit airport including Helsinki Airport before continuing to your connecting flight to China.
Due to this requirement, you need to start your journey earlier than planned to allow enough time for testing and results during transfer at Helsinki Airport. Also, transfer time at Helsinki Airport will be longer than normally, approximately 16 hours. Customers from domestic flights in Finland transferring to flights to China are not required to be tested in Helsinki.
We guide you through the transfer at Helsinki airport
We do our best to make the transfer experience at Helsinki Airport pleasant and smooth for you. We will organise the required testing services for transfer customers at Helsinki Airport with our healthcare service partner Terveystalo. You are required to purchase the tests in advance by contacting our Customer Service, providing there is at least 24 hours until your departure to China. Infants under 2 years of age don’t need to be tested at Helsinki Airport. Included in the test price, 200€ per person, we provide you a comfort package.
After you arrive in Helsinki on a Finnair flight
- Our ground crew will meet you on arrival and guide you to the Helsinki Airport testing area next to gate 50A to take the required tests. Test area is open only on Wednesdays from 17:30 to 00:45.
- The staff of our partner Terveystalo takes the tests and analyses the samples. PCR test is taken from nose and throat and IgM through a blood sample from your elbow bend. Please tell Terveystalo staff if taking a blood sample worries you. Terveystalo’s test methods meet the requirements of the Chinese authorities.
We ask you to show your passport before taking the tests. Please use a mask covering your nose and mouth during taking the samples. One person at a time can enter the testing area. Small children are accompanied by a parent.
- Children of all ages are required to undergo testing both in the country of origin and at the transit station. Customers from domestic flights in Finland transferring to flights to China are not required to be tested in Helsinki.
- You are required to purchase the tests in advance by contacting our Customer Service latest 24 h before your departure to China.
- If you are arriving to Helsinki on a Finnair flight, you are required to purchase the tests latest at the check-in counter of your first flight.
- If you are arriving to Helsinki with another airline and are transferring to China on a Finnair flight, you are required to purchase the test in advance by contacting our Customer Service.
- After taking the test, you’ll have some 16 hours to spend at Helsinki Airport. You can collect your comfort package from Finnair transfer desk. The package contains a pillow, blanket, slippers, our amenity kit, water bottle, shower access and a service voucher to be used at the airport on available services. See here services available at Helsinki Airport.
- Leaving the terminal or moving from the non-Schengen area to the Schengen area is possible only if you are eligible for entry to Finland.
- We will not contact you separately, if your test results are negative. We just ask you to collect your boarding pass for your flight to China from our transfer desk the following morning. Please also remember to complete your Electronic Health Declaration form required by the Chinese authorities before boarding.
In case your test result comes out positive, you will be contacted separately and given further instructions. It is good to know that in this case you are not able to travel to your destination, nor stay at the airport. You are required to stay in a 10-day quarantine in Helsinki in a hotel and are responsible for the expenses.
Please note. Your baggage will be checked in all the way to China at your departure airport. As you will not have access to your baggage during your transfer at Helsinki Airport, please make sure you pack all essentials you may need during the transfer time in your carry-on baggage.
Our ground crew at the transfer desk will assist you with any questions during the time you spend at Helsinki Airport.
Your options for reservation changes if you are travelling to China via Helsinki
- You can travel to China via Helsinki but please prepare to start your journey earlier than planned to allow enough time for testing and results during transfer at Helsinki Airport. We will automatically offer you a new inbound flight from Europe to Helsinki the day before your original flight, if there are alternative flights available. We will send you your new flight information via email. Your flight from Helsinki to China will remain the same as in your original travel plan.
- You can change your travel dates for later according to our flexible ticket change policy.
- You can decide not to travel and to apply for a refund for your unused flight ticket. Please note your inbound flight from Europe to Helsinki is required to be latest 31 August 2021. This could be changed if CAAC regulations change. You may cancel your booking first in Manage booking and then apply for a refund online here.
Check your options for reservation changes here if you are travelling to China directly from Helsinki.
If you booked your ticket through a travel agency or a tour operator, please contact them to make changes to your reservation or to apply for a refund. If you booked your ticket through Finnair, our customer service is working hard to help you in this extremely exceptional situation. We are at your service also via chat, on Twitter @FinnairHelps and on our Facebook pages. We are sorry that our customer service may be congested.
Health and safety measures during boarding and onboard
It is good to know that your temperature will be scanned at the departure gate in Helsinki. Those not fulfilling the health requirements set by the Chinese health authorities and those showing symptoms of coronavirus will be denied boarding.
Random temperature scanning is also possible during the flight.
All customers must wear facial masks during the whole flight and should not remove their masks unless necessary, e.g., during meals.
You will in addition be tested for coronavirus on arrival in China and will be quarantined for 14 days at your own cost in designated places.
Latest entry restrictions can be found via the IATA website and appropriate consulate or embassy.