Pets on Finnair flights
Finnair will transport your pets either in the cabin or in the hold of the aircraft depending on their weight and size. A prior approval is needed from the airline, so make your flight reservation by contacting our Customer service by phone, and notify us about the pet. Please, have at hand the dimensions of the pet transportation container, as well as the total weight of the pet and the container.
In the EU, pets must be identified by a microchip, or a tattoo (tattoo done before 3 July 2011). In addition, the pet must have a certificate (known as a pet passport), which bears its rabies vaccination status, along with other health information. Further information about transporting pets to/from Finland is available on Evira’s website (the Finnish Food Safety Authority). To find out which documents are required and which rules apply to transporting your pets to/from other countries, we recommend consulting the embassies of the country of departure and the country of destination. It is not possible to travel with your pet to/via Great Britain, Ireland, Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates and Australia. Please contact Finnair Cargo.
The booking procedure and policies are different for different carriers. The regulations on these pages apply to flights operated by Finnair. If your ticket includes flights operated by other airlines, please check their baggage regulations.
Pets carried in the cabin
Small cats, dogs, rabbits and rodents may be carried in the cabin with certain restrictions.
- The pet must be carried in an IATA-approved pet carrier under the seat in front of you.
- The total weight of the pet and its container may not exceed 8 kg (17 lb).
- If you are transporting a dog, a cat or a rabbit in the cabin, we recommend that you carry it in a soft pet carrier. The maximum dimensions for a soft pet carrier are same than for normal carry-on baggage, as long as the carrier is flexible enough to fit under the seat in front of you and your pet can travel comfortably.
- Rodents must always be transported in a hard case. The maximum dimensions for a hard case are 35x30x20 cm (14x12x8 in) (length x width x height).
- You may not carry a pet in the cabin if you are travelling in Business Class on an intercontinental flight, as there is no room under the reclining seats.
Pets carried in the hold
Animals that cannot be transported inside the cabin will be transported in appropriate containers in an air-conditioned area of the hold of the aircraft.
- A pet weighing over 40 kg (88 lb) must be transported in a strong transportation box.
- All transportation boxes must comply with the IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulations and they must be large enough to allow the pet to stand up straight and turn around. See IATA’s regulations.
- If the total weight of the pet and its box exceeds 50 kg (110 lb), the pet must be shipped as cargo.
- All unaccompanied animals are also shipped as cargo. Please contact Finnair Cargo.
Pet transportation fees
Pets are not included in your baggage allowance, so you will need to pay a fee for their transportation. Guide dogs and duty dogs may be transported free of charge. The charge can be paid in advance by telephone or at the airport.
The table below contains pet transportation fees for Finnair flights (those operated by Finnair and bearing a Finnair flight number).
|Fees per one direction||Short Haul||Long Haul|
|Pet in the cabin||EUR 40||EUR 75, USD/CAD 100|
|Pet in the hold, maximum combined weight with the container 50 kg||EUR 75||EUR 300, USD/CAD 400|
Pet as cargo
For details regarding pricing, see the Finnair Cargo website.
The feedback form is used to improve our website. We don’t answer queries sent through this form.