Pets carried in the cabin
Small cats, dogs, rabbits and rodents may be carried in the cabin on Finnair scheduled flights, with certain restrictions. On Finnair leisure flights (AY1000 series), all animals – except guide dogs and duty dogs (for example, police and customs dogs) – must travel in the hold of the aircraft.
Pets must be transported in a suitable transportation container, which must be a bag or a box. Finnair has the right to refuse transportation if the animal’s container is too large for the cabin or if the animal is too large for its container. The animal may also be moved to the hold if its container exceeds the maximum allowed dimensions.
- The total weight of the pet and its container may not exceed 8 kg (17 lb). The maximum dimensions for a soft pet carrier are the same as for carry-on baggage, 56x45x25 cm (22x18x10 in.). The maximum dimensions for a hard carrier are 35x30x25 (14x12x10 in.).
- Only one pet carrier per passenger is permitted.
- The animal must remain fully in its container for the entire duration of the flight.
- If you are transporting a dog, a cat or a rabbit in the cabin, we recommend that you carry it in a soft bag, as it will fit more easily under the seat in front. However, you need to make sure that the animal has sufficient space in the bag to stand, to sit erect and to lie in a natural position and to turn about normally while standing. All pet transportation bags must have a solid bottom and be suitable for animal transport. Rodents must always be transported in a hard carrier.
- You may not carry a pet in the cabin if you are travelling in Business Class on an intercontinental flight, as there is no room under the reclining seats.
- If you are allergic to animals, please see Passengers allergic to animals.