- An infant refers to a child under 2 years of age travelling without his or her own seat.
- If your child is under 2 years, he or she can sit on an adult’s lap wearing a separate safety belt, or in a child restraint device fastened to the aircraft seat.
- An adult can have one infant sitting on his or her lap.
- An infant also needs a flight ticket. If the child is not yet born, make the reservation for you and contact our customer service after the baby is born.
- If your child turns 2 years before the return flight, you must reserve a seat for him or her.
- All passengers between 2 and 11 years of age are regarded as children.
Regardless of travel class, an infant’s baggage allowance includes one piece of baggage weighing a maximum of 23 kg, as well as a folding pushchair and safety seat. Safety seats may be taken into the cabin, space and safety regulations permitting.
A child with his or her own seat has the same basic baggage allowance as an adult travelling in the same travel class. In addition, this allowance includes a folding pushchair and safety seat. Safety seats may be taken into the cabin, space and safety regulations permitting.
Travel documents for minors
Different countries may require different types of travel documents. Read more.
There is a dedicated check-in desk at Helsinki Airport for passengers travelling with children. The desk is labelled ”Special Passengers” and is also marked with the corresponding international symbols.
Children's pushchairs are carried in the hold of the aircraft, along with all other checked baggage.
Finnair recommends that you protect your pushchair when you travel. Airshells offers the rental of protective packaging at some European airports. As Finnair customer you are entitled to a discount.
Infant seats and infant car seats
If your child is under 2 years and you have reserved them a seat on the plane, he or she may travel with an age-appropriate infant seat or infant car seat.
You must obtain confirmation from Finnair before bringing an infant seat on board. You must present the seat’s usage instructions when you board the aircraft, so that we can check its safety certification labelling. We cannot, however, guarantee that your infant seat will be compatible with the aircraft seat you have reserved for your child – if your infant seat does not fit into the aircraft seat or it cannot be safely secured, we will place it in an overhead locker or the hold of the aircraft.
Infant seats must be equipped with a three or five-point harness and will be fastened to the aircraft seat facing backward. Infant car seats must be equipped with a five-point harness and will be fastened to the aircraft seat facing forward.
- The seat is approved for use in motor vehicles according to UN standard ECE R44.03 or later series amendments.
- The seat is approved for use in aircraft by a JAA authority, the Federal Aviation Administration or Transport Canada (on the basis of a national technical standard), and is marked accordingly.
- The seat is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft according to Canadian standard CMVSS 213/213.1.
- The seat is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft according to US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 213, and manufactured according to this standard after 25 February 1985. US-approved child restraint devices manufactured after this date must bear the following labels in red lettering: (1) “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards”; and (2) “This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft”.
- The seat is approved for use in aircraft according to the German qualification procedure for child restraint systems for use in aircraft (TÜV Doc.: TÜV/958-01/2001).
There are baby baskets on all Finnair intercontinental flights. In order to use a baby basket, please reserve a seat suitable for cot/bassinet via the Select Your Seat service. If you’re travelling on a Finnair leisure flight (AY1000 series), you can reserve your seats online via the Leisure flights travel extras. Seats are chargeable.
If your child is under 2 years, he or she must sit on an adult’s lap wearing a separate safety belt, or in a child restraint device fastened to the aircraft seat – this is especially important during take-off, landing and periods of irregularity (for example, those caused by turbulence).
The inside length of our baby baskets is 70 cm. The infant using the basket may not weigh more than 11 kg (24 lb). Baby basket is recommended for infants not older than 6 months.
You can order a meal suitable for children of 2 years and above when you book your flight tickets. Our children’s meals are available in Business Class and Economy Class on all our intercontinental scheduled flights. Our standard Economy Class meals are also suitable for children. For leisure flights (AY1000 series) children’s meals can be ordered through the Leisure flights travel extras.
We keep a few jars of baby food in reserve on all intercontinental scheduled flights, but please remember that availability is limited.
Entertainment for children
On all our intercontinental and leisure flights we distribute toys and other entertainment items to children at the beginning of the flight. All these items are child safe, of high quality and suitable for use on board. The entertainment materials your child will receive vary depending on the duration of the flight and the age of your child.
We ensure that all films shown on our leisure flights are suitable for families and children. Our film selection changes three times a year. We also show children’s cartoons.